fellow YA author and writer friend mindy mcginnis (NOT A DROP TO DRINK) asked me to participate in a blog hop this week. the theme is “the next big thing” in terms of what we’re writing, but DIVIDED just feels too far away to be able to talk about it much. so i’m going to answer the ten questions with DUALED in mind and hope you guys can pretend as well as i can that this is all shiny and brand new!
next week, five other authors will be taking part in “the next big thing.” i’ll have links to their blogs posted below!
1) What is the working title of your book?
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
My son asked me about everyone having doubles, and what if we all just never knew about them. It lit the fire, so to speak.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
Dystopian, with a touch of sci-fi.
4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I don’t know, but they would definitely have to be of mixed ethnicity. I do like Andrew Garfield and his hair, though, and Ellen Page is cool. Plus she’s Canadian.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
I’m going to cheat and use a version of my tagline: Two of you exist; only one can survive.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I’m repped by The Chudney Agency, and DUALED will be published by Random House Children’s Books.
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I’ve seen it marketed as The Hunger Games crossed with Matched. I’ll throw in Lisbeth Salander from The Millenium Series, with a touch of Jason Bourne, if you like.
9) Who or What inspired you to write this book?
No one knew I was writing, so it was more just pushing myself to see if I could actually finish one from beginning to end.
10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
That West is just as capable of messing up as anyone.
thanks for reading, you guys! make sure to check out the following blogs of some fellow writer friends for their take on “the next big thing.” their post date for week 22 is october 31st–hallowe’en!