it’s here: jacket copy for DUALED!

you know those little blurbs on the inside flaps of a book jacket? the ones that must somehow condense a 300 page novel into a couple of paragraphs and still manage to, you know, sound good?

there might be a few minor tweaks down the road as we get closer to pub date, but this is pretty much the official jacket copy for DUALED.

i’m so, so incredibly happy with it. my editor at random house, the copy editing department–they couldn’t have done a more fantastic job.

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. If she is to have any chance of winning, she must stop running not only from her Alt, but also from love . . . though both have the power to destroy her.

Elsie Chapman’s suspenseful debut weaves unexpected romance into a novel full of fast-paced action and thought-provoking philosophy. When the story ends, discussions will begin about this future society where every adult is a murderer and every child knows there is another out there who just might be better.

i’m going to be such a mess when i finally get to hold a copy. hitting bookstores february 2013. *cannot. wait*

Like this at Facebook!
Advertisements
Tagged , , , ,

18 thoughts on “it’s here: jacket copy for DUALED!

1. Emma Pass says:

OMG, Elsie, DUALED just sounds so. Incredible. Can’t wait to read it!!! 😀

2. Emma!! Thank you so much! If I weren’t so sick of it, I’d want to read it, too, heh!! You’re awesome, as always.

3. Elsie, what great copy! It really draws the reader in, and like Emma, I’m psyched to read the book. It’s all these mini-milestones leading up to the Big Day that keep us all motivated! Congrats!

• Hi Claire!!

Thank you so much, Chelsea did such an amazing job! And you’re right–all these little steps really do make the Big Day seem that much closer. Thanks for coming by!

4. Brandy says:

YAY, Elsie! This is so, so great. ❤

5. agenevievetucholke says:

You know I love it.

6. Amanda Hosch says:

Your premise is so intriguing–every adult a murderer. What a society!
    I can’t wait to read it.

If you don’t mind me asking, how similar were the first two paragraphs to your query?

• Hi Amanda!!

Thanks so much 🙂 About how similar this blurb is to my original query, I’d have to dig it up to compare. (Which, now that I think about it, I might blog about one day.) Off the top of my head, the “feel” of it is the same, as well as the description of the main plot. At its heart, you’re trying to achieve the same thing with a blurb and a query–basically, sell a novel using only so many words. Though after revisions, some of the plot points have definitely evolved.

7. So super excited! I’m compelled 😀 ❤

8. Petra says:

Sounds amazing! Already added it on Goodreads a while back. Can’t wait to see the cover 🙂

9. Irene says:

I have put Dualed on my: in-a-while-I-will-own-you booklist.
    Okay, I don’t really have one of those, but you get the point :-).
    Also, I am still slightly curious about the definite author pic..

• Hi Irene!

That is sweet of you to say–thank you! Oh yes, author pic. They’re still with Random, and I’m hoping there will be at least a couple of passable ones 🙂 We shall see!

10. Sandy says:

Wow this sounds amazing. How have I not heard of this before?! I am adding it to my to-read list right now.