livre du jour

before this little thing called writing came along, i used to blitz my way through books. i’d crack one open sometime during the day and not put it down until i was finished. not because i had to, but because i had no choice–a good book won’t let you go until you’re done. Β and there was something special about being the only one awake at 3 or 4 in the morning, cocooned in bed, the reading lamp aimed just so. it was in that kind of deep quiet that a book really came to life; characters breathed and moved, their words not merely read but also heard.

i still love discovering books that can do this. of course, some books are just way too long, and some too exhausting to get through in one sitting without feeling like your brain’s going to explode. and now that i don’t have as much time to read anymore, i’m resorting to sneaking bits and pieces here and there, like a little kid swiping candy from the hidden stash on the pantry’s top shelf: a page while cooking, another while eating. it’s not the same, but what can you do?

what books have you read in the course of a day? or wanted to, only to be interrupted by the real world? the last book i got to read in one day was we the animals by justin torres. it’s not hefty in terms of pages (it clocks in at 128), but the world within them is immense, brilliant, and more than a bit heartbreaking.

Advertisements
Tagged , , ,

15 thoughts on “livre du jour

1. I read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS in one sitting. I very carefully chose the time slot, too–a Saturday night when I didn’t have to do anything that night OR the next morning. That way, I could cry my eyes out and not worry about looking pink and puffy in public. And I did. Ohhhh I did.

2. agenevievetucholke says:

Elsie, I’ve had so many of those “only person awake at 3 AM, reading in the quiet dark” moments. More when I was a teenager, but I still do this every so often. Books I’ve read in one sitting: The Giver. How I Live Now. Sabriel. The eerie classic Green Mansions. Cusicks’s teen trash horror The Lifeguard. Several Choose Your Own Adventures. Plain Kate. Many, many graphic novels (do they count?) Peck’s The Ghost Belonged To Me. Several Robert Cormier books…

I’ll stop now.

3. April, graphic novels *always* count! Come babysit my kids, I miss staying up late to read and then sleeping in πŸ™‚ The Outlander series kept me up. Way too much manga. Lots of King. Oh, and the His Dark Materials series!!

4. agenevievetucholke says:

Outlander! Time travel. Scotland. Jamie. And yeah, Pullman. Especially the first one. The kid, in that shed, all sad and lost and ghostly, after having been separated from his daemon? That scared the hell out of me. Everything is 40-75 percent more scary when read alone at 3 in the morning. That’s just science.

5. Amanda Hosch says:

I read STARTERS by Lissa Price in one day. I began it while waiting for my 3yo to get out of pre-school. Then, I read “just a bit more” while she napped. Then, after dinner, while hubby played with the kids, I picked it up again. Then, after the kids’ bedtime, you guess it. I didn’t plan to read all in one day, but I couldn’t put it down.

6. Linda C. says:

I’m working my way through Marissa Meyer’s Cinder right now (really good!). I also agree with Outlander (I just came back from my first visit to Scotland and want to re-read it!).

And I have to say, Dualed was a one day read, too!

7. Linda C. says:

Divergent and Blood Red Road, too!

• Linda, hah! OMG, you mentioned DUALED in the same post as CINDER and OUTLANDER! You are so awesome–seriously, THANK YOU!

I’ve been hearing such great things about BRR, too. I might be in for another reading day, soon πŸ™‚

8. Peggy says:

The last two books I read in one sitting are The Hunger Games by you-know-who and The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. Neither were hefty and both interesting for different reasons.

• Hi there, Peggy!

Def HG, I read it in one sitting (I can’t believe I forgot to mention it!). I have to get off my butt and read CF and M now. I’ve never read Julian Barnes, I’ll have to look him up after, thanks! My TBR pile is getting taller…